Martin Lees, The Intl. Affairs Expert's Blog
Intl. Affairs Expert
“World Mayors Council backs CCTF Statement on action against climate change”
29 Jun 12 | 339 comments
Added 29 Jun 12 by the Intl. Affairs Expert | 339 comments
The World Mayors Council and more than 260 cities have endorsed and committed to promote the Climate Change Task Force Statement on Action to Face the Urgent Realities on Climate Change.
"The Statement by the Climate Change Task Force is one of the unique initiatives that underlines the close linkages of climate change and sustainable development as well as the role that local leaders can play," said Martha Delgado, Minister of Environment for Mexico City, during the Statement's 18 June 2012 launch in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on the sidelines of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20).
Minister Delgado spoke on behalf of Marcelo Ebrard, Mayor of Mexico City and Chair of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change.
She said that the Council's General Assembly and members of the Mexico City Pact, which comprises more than 260 cities committed to advancing climate action, had endorsed and promoted the CCTF Statement as "our framework of action."
"Climate change will be solved or not based on measures implemented by cities," Minister Delgado said.
- CCTF Statement: http://bit.ly/KNlwPH
- Mexico City Pact: http://www.worldmayorscouncil.org/the-mexico-city-pact.html
- ICLEI -- Local Governments for Sustainability: http://www.iclei.org
- Green Climate Cities: http://bit.ly/OHlUoT
- Video statement by Konrad Otto-Zimmermann, Secretary-General, ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability http://bit.ly/KHievU